BGP Informational Communities
i3D.net strips all external BGP communities on the AS49544 border routers. Informational communities that provide knowledge about where (and how) that route was learned are then added to each prefix. There are always two informational tags on a prefix in the AS49544 backbone, one with full location details and one for the generic continental area. These codes are always in the 49544:CTLLL format:
49544: Standard preamble.
C Continent where the route was learned.
T Type of relationship with BGP neighbor.
LLL Location where the route was learned.
* 1 - North America
* 2 - Europe
* 3 - Asia-Pacific
* 4 - Oceania
* 5 - South America
* 6 - Africa
* 1 - Internal route originated by AS49544
* 2 - IP transit customer route
* 3 - Private peering route
* 4 - Public peering route
* 5 - Upstream partial IP transit route
* 6 - Upstream full IP transit route
* Generic continental region:
When the three location digits are 000 it concerns all routes of this type learned on the continent.
* North America:
First location digit indicates federal nation:
1 United States of America
For USA, the second and third location digits indicate State ANSI FIPS code:
For Canada, the second and third location digits indicate Canada's SGC Provinces and Territories code:
* Rest of the world:
The three location digits are the ITU-T E.164 telephone country code:
* 49544:16106 = route learned from full transit in North America, USA, California.
* 49544:24031 = route learned from public peering in Europe, The Netherlands.
* 49544:23000 = route learned from private peering in Europe.
* 49544:35852 = route learned from partial transit in Asia-Pacific, Hong Kong.
* 49544:22031 = route learned from IP transit customer in Europe, The Netherlands.
* 49544:14235 = route learned from public peering in North America, Canada, Ontario.
BGP Blackhole Communities
i3D.net currently provides a blackhole community which takes global effect. You can trigger a blackhole for IPv4 prefixes that you're already permitted to advertise by tagging the route with 49544:666. This works for the whole prefix, all the way down to /32 size: so please take great care when using this functionality.
BGP Action Communities
i3D.net provides a set of BGP action communities allowing customers to manipulate routing policy for their prefixes within the backbone. This functionality only works for AS49544 peering and transit BGP neighbors, our transit customers always receive every prefix without 49544 prepends. Please note we already take great care when announcing our prefixes outside the originating continent to prevent hairpinning. BGP action communities are always in the action:target format, using the following syntax:
* 65501 =
Prepend the AS-path once using AS49544, results in _TARGET_49544_49544_CUSTOMER$
* 65502 =
Prepend the AS-path twice using AS49544, results in _TARGET_49544_49544_49544_CUSTOMER$
* 65503 =
Prepend the AS-path thrice using AS49544, results in _TARGET_49544_49544_49544_49544_CUSTOMER$
* 65500 =
Do not advertise route to target (AKA no-export).
* IP transit providers:
* 174 = Cogent Communications
* 2914 = NTT Communications
* 3320 = Deutsche Telekom AG
* 3356 = Level(3) Communications
* 4436 = GTT Communications (formerly known as nLayer Communications)
* Regional peering codes:
* 65001 = All North American peering
* 65002 = All European peering
* 65003 = All Asian-Pacific peering
* 65004 = All Oceanian peering
* 65005 = All South American peering
* 65006 = All African peering
* Internet Exchange codes:
* 65011 = AMS-IX, Amsterdam
* 65012 = NL-ix, Rotterdam
* 65021 = DE-CIX, Frankfurt
* 65031 = LINX Juniper LAN, London
* 65041 = PLIX, Warsaw
* 65042 = TPIX, Warsaw
* 65052 = LINX NoVA, Reston
* 65061 = Any2 California, Los Angeles
* 65071 = IX Australia NSW, Sydney
* 65072 = PipeIX NSW, Sydney
prepend the AS-path for this prefix once towards transit Level(3) Communications.
do not advertise this prefix towards transit Cogent Communications.
prepend the AS-path for this prefix twice with AS49544 towards peers on PLIX, Warsaw.
prepend the AS-path for this prefix thrice with AS49544 towards peers on PipeIX NSW, Sydney.